Thursday, March 3, 2011

Borders books: a tragic love story

I recently read an interesting column from Floyd of The Dallas Morning News. Jacquielynn about what may be the slow death of brick and mortar Bookstore. Here are my own thoughts.


If you had told me in 1990s that books borders would close many of its stores in North Texas due to bankruptcy would have cried like a baby. I attended a local Dallas frontiers – one that is currently scheduled for the chopping block — with the true devotion, then. VI Gloria Steinem and Norman Mailer provide readings, among others. As a reporter working on a story, I interviewed Anne Rice in a wedding dress black income while she signed books for a couple thousand fake wearing fang fans. (Rice was the wedding dress black, not me). But more than that, I dropped a boatload of money there because the selections of book and music were apparently supplied with me in mind.


Then, when the ' 00s came, I began a torrid romance with Amazon. Not only were book and CD prices significantly cheaper, the selection was insanely wide and deep. Print items that had searched for years were available for sellers. I found myself with interests that I never knew I had thanks to Amazon. The online retailer oft maligned helped me make a person smarter. My fling has quickly become a long-term relationship, and that more or fewer frontiers of dumping.


When I visited my loved once border last year, it was sad. Shelf space had drastically reduced. The selection of music was as good or better at your local Best Buy. The space seemed dominated by sweets, stationery, pens, cards and other non-book news. Borders had gotten dumber (in an attempt to survive), had grown decide and Amazon won (until the next giant online obsoletes). The lesson? Capitalism is unrelenting, but not without its advantages.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment